Between bondings, white fillings, veneers, braces and crowns there are so many different options available to deal with chipped and cracked or gap teeth. It can be daunting to decide which is the best option for you. This month, Dr. Martin Abelar is sharing the top 10 reasons to choose porcelain veneers:
10. Veneers can address a variety of problems with the shape of teeth. Whether a tooth has been damaged, stained or chipped, veneers can cosmetically provide a straight, perfectly shaped tooth or teeth that look straight, white and aesthetically pleasing.
9. Once in place, porcelain veneers are semi-permanent. The porcelain veneer is cemented to the tooth and provides the same strength and bite force as a normal healthy tooth. The average porcelain veneer lasts at least 10 years but actually closer to 20 years before it needs to be replaced.
8. Like crowns, porcelain veneers require no different care than regular teeth. People who get porcelain veneers can brush, floss and rinse exactly the same as prior to their placement.
7. Unlike bondings, the porcelain material used to make veneers is resistant to discoloration and staining. As such, it is important to make sure that any whitening treatments you wish to do are completed prior to the preparation of your veneers. Dr. Abelar will have the porcelain veneer colored to match your natural teeth, and once placed the color cannot be changed through bleaching or other whitening treatment.
6. Veneers can be a convenient option to fill small gaps between teeth without the commitment of braces and aligners.
5. Veneers do not require drilling into the jawbone or tooth root structure for placement.
4. When working on multiple teeth, veneers are a less expensive option per tooth than crowns.
3. Veneers can be measured, fitted and cemented in just three office visits.
2. Veneers can serve the same function as fillings in preventing the spread of tooth decay.
1. Veneers can provide the smooth, flawless, symmetrical shape resistant to wear and tear.