Porcelain veneers are some of the most popularly used cosmetic dental appliances. They are bonded to the frontal surface of the teeth to treat the surface imperfections such as discoloration, minor cracks, chipping, worn-out biting surfaces, etc. Though it is mainly used for cosmetic purposes, it also strengthens the tooth structure and prevent its failure.
What are the advantages of choosing veneers?
- Veneers are very thin and hence, do not add a lot of volume to the natural tooth structure. Even after placing the restoration, the tooth would be of its ideal size and indistinguishable from the others.
- The procedure to get a veneer is very simple. In most cases, it can be completed in just a single visit to the dentist’s clinic.
- Veneers are made from dental-grade ceramic material. Their durability is excellent and they last for several years together.
- In aesthetic terms, the dental-grade ceramic used to fabricate veneers can be customized to a great extent. Its color, texture, and translucency can be made to closely match that of the enamel.
- Veneers do not burn a hole in your pocket. They are one of the most economical cosmetic dental options available.
What are veneers used for?
- Cracked teeth: When the teeth sustain minor cracks, such as when you bite something too hard or suffer oral trauma, veneers can be used to cover the cracks and prevent the teeth from failing.
- Chipped/misshapen teeth: Teeth that are out of shape, either naturally or due to oral trauma, would ruin the appearance of your smile. They can be restored to their ideal shape using veneers.
- Discolored teeth: Excessive staining can make the teeth look yellowish or brownish in color. This can often lead to embarrassment and getting rid of it is one of the top priorities in cosmetic dentistry. By bonding a veneer to the discolored tooth, we can enhance its appearance and improve your smile.
How are veneers bonded?
Each veneer would be a customized piece of porcelain. Hence, it will have to be fabricated according to the contour of your tooth. When you visit our dental clinic, we will take a precise mold of your teeth and have it sent to a dental laboratory for fabricating the veneer. The veneer will be fabricated to perfection in a couple of weeks, during which you will be asked to use a temporary veneer.
During the next visit, the dentist will prepare your tooth by cleaning and etching it using a suitable solution. This makes the surface of the tooth rough and allows the restoration to bond to it firmly. Dental adhesives will be used to bond the veneer to the tooth and a curing light is used to harden it. A bite test will ensure your ideal bite isn’t altered due to the restoration.
Call us at (858) 866-9692 or schedule an online appointment with us and we’ll be able to guide you further.