What Are Veneers?
Invented for Hollywood stars and more recently popularized on the television show Extreme Makeover, porcelain veneers are custom designed, wafer-thin shells placed on the surface of each tooth by an extremely experienced dentist in order to improve the appearance of a smile. They can be placed on one tooth or all of the teeth depending on each individual situation.
Why Would I Need Veneers?
The most basic answer to why someone would want veneers is to improve the aesthetic appearance of their smile. Many people think veneers are just for celebrities but over the years they have become more affordable and in addition to financing options that many dental practices and outside financial institutions offer it's easier than ever for anyone to achieve the look they want for their smile when it comes to veneers. Here are some things porcelain veneers can help fix:
- Stained or discolored teeth
- Chipped, fractured or worn down teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Misshapen or slightly crooked teeth
If you still aren't sure if veneers are right for you, check our blog on The Top 10 Reasons to Get Porcelain Veneers.
Important Things to Know About Veneers
- Anyone can benefit from porcelain veneers! Sometimes it takes just one or two to achieve the desired look while others may need all of their teeth done.
- Just like a hairstyle, not all smiles looks good on all faces. We love when patients bring us photos of celebrity smiles they love. We go a step further and rather than copying that smile, we take it and make it exactly how it should look for your facial shape and structure!
- Choosing the right color for your smile is much more complicated than just choosing the whitest possible veneer. The perfect shade is one that looks natural and goes well with your skin tone.
Dr. Abelar is well known as one of the top cosmetic dentists in San Diego and hundreds of his cosmetic cases over the years have involved porcelain veneers. Dr. Abelar received his training in the design and use of porcelain veneers at the prestigious Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies.
Designing and completing porcelain veneers is not as lengthy a process as it seems. In only a few visits, Dr. Abelar can transform a patient’s smile into one that looks like it is ready for the big screen. Many patients choose to improve their smile by adding 4-10 porcelain veneers to their front teeth, thus changing their smile dramatically or completely transforming their smile by placing veneers on all of their teeth.
In choosing a cosmetic dentist for porcelain veneers, it‘s very important to check out the dentist’s education and experience. The design of porcelain veneers requires aesthetic training and experience to perfect the skills required for a successful outcome. With more than 33 years of experience in designing smile makeovers, Dr. Abelar has many successful porcelain veneer cases. In a consultation appointment, Dr. Abelar will explain the process of deciding how many porcelain veneers you will need to achieve your overall smile design goals and he will walk you through the process step by step of what it will take to get you exactly where you want to be so you are confident in his ability to design the smile you want for yourself.
To schedule a consultation for porcelain veneers or other cosmetic dentistry service, please call 858-866-9692.